how do you treat epilepsy

Our History

Gus’s Garage has a long history dating back over the past 78 years.

In 1933, John Barga started the Versailles Oil and Gas Co.; the same year he moved his family to Versailles from Detroit, MI.

At the time, the company was located on the north side of West Main Street, between the former Versailles Grain Company and the Buckeye Overall Plant.

The business was a full service gas station while also delivering fuel to the surrounding area.

John’s 3rd oldest of 9 children, Gus, began pumping gas in 1938 while still in high school. He eventually purchased the business from his father in 1957.

During the time of Gus’s ownership, his wife Norma served as bookkeeper for the business.

In 1971, Gus decided to move the business across town since they only owned the building but not the ground at their current establishment. A new service station was built at the intersection of Ohio 121 and 185 (our current location). Below the property sixty-two thousand gallons of fuel oil, gas, and diesel fuel were housed.

Gus’s daughter, Carmen, married Jon Snyder in 1977. Not long after, Jon began pumping and delivering fuel for the business.

Guss Garage Versailles Ohio HistoryDuring the years that followed, the business began a natural growth into auto repair work. As this side of the business grew Jon Snyder eventually amassed more tools even hiring their first auto repair employee in 1992.

In 1995, they completely moved toward the new market of auto repair leaving the oil and gas business behind.

With the change in the business focus it only seemed fitting to rename the business after the man who was so well known since over the years the place had become well known as a local place to chat or get the latest news.. So they renamed the Versailles Oil and Gas Co. to Gus’s Garage & Towing.

In October 2008 Gus retired from the business and is now owned and operated by Jon Snyder; offering auto repair, towing, and car rust protection services.

 

Click on an image below to view larger.